I’m sure the wonderful paper crafters over at TGIF Challenges did quite have a Christmas card in mind when they set the following Inspiration Challenge, but for here down under it is a perfect fit! Here is the inspiration image from TGIFC:
And here is my entry for this very beach inspiration:
All supplies used in this card are shown at the end of this post in the thumbnails. These are linked to my Stampin’ Up! online store.
I love to send more “Aussie” flavoured Christmas cards every year to my overseas friends. When I saw the new So Santa stamp set in the 2018 Holiday card I knew I would be using it a lot. Though I have to admit that the inspiration for this card is completely from the TGIFC image above.
To create this card:
- Prepare card base in Whisper White Thick cardstock
- Cut card front from Whisper White 143.5mm x 100mm
- To create the background:
- Take the Whisper White card front and mask off the bottom two thirds of the card (TIP: I found using Post-It notes perfect for this). Mine is positioned in landscape but you can also do the same in portrait mode, though the image is on the smaller size so landscape works better
- Colour the unmasked area using a Sponge Dauber and Balmy Blue. I did circular motions and tried to have more concentrated colour at the edge and lighter near the mask. My doing circular motions you get a bit of colour appearance.
- Lift the mask and now cover the sky that you have just finished.
- Using a Sponge Brayer colour the bottom third in Daffodil Delight for the sand. Don’t worry if you go over the third line, you kind of want the sand and sea to mix a bit. The Sponge Brayer gives a great textured appearance like sand!
- Then using a Stampin’ Sponge wedge and Bermuda Bay colour the water area. Again use circular motions. Try to have more concentrated colour at the horizon and overlap a bit with the sand.
- To create the waves, use a Palette Knife and Shimmery White Embossing Paste and add the waves. Try to cover the area where the sand and water meet and then some onto the water area too. I had planned to use White Embossing Paste but what I have left has dried up and I really love the Shimmery White Embossing Paste and the shimmer it has given so win!
- Stamp using Memento ink on some Whisper White Thick card stock the Surfboard Santa and star fish images from the So Santa stamp set and colour using Stampin’ Blends. The colours I used a listed below. (TIP: to give the beard just a bit of shadowing start by colouring it in with the Color Lifter then add a bit of Smokey Slate Light and blend with the Color Lifter. This gives a bit of shading, I did it underneath the mo and it really changed the look of Santa).
- Fussy cut the Santa and star fish and adhere to the card front.
- Stamp the “Ho! Ho! Ho! Who needs snow?!” sentiment on the card front in Memento ink.
- Adhere the card front to the card base and attached the Santa using Stampin’ Dimensionals.
Doesn’t this Santa just look so Jolly and happy to be relaxing? I’m looking forward to our hot summer Christmas!
I really love the waves and the sparkles in the embossing paste. I feel that it really adds something special to this card.
I have made a matching envelope too.
UPDATE: I was honoured to be selected as the #TGIFC173 Winner
Thank you for visiting my blog! I really enjoy sharing with you my creations and I hope that you are inspired to spend some time being creative.
Bye for now!
- Join Stampin’ Up!® to start getting your products at 20% discount: CLICK HERE
- Request a Catalogue to see what products you can purchase: CLICK HERE
- Subscribe to my newsletter to keep up to date with the latest news: CLICK HERE
- Follow me on Facebook for regular updates and inspiration: CLICK HERE
- Go SHOPPING for clearance items and specials: CLICK HERE
If you live in Australia you can purchase the products that were used by clicking the links below.
May 2021 Host Code: EWTJMXJ3
(Use the hostess code when ordering less than $250. All orders over $50 before shipping get a handmade card from me, FREE packet of Genial Gems, and collect stickers part of my Customer Loyalty Program!)
Learn more about the products I used. I have them listed below. Click on the product image to learn more and to purchase from my Online Store. Thank you for your support, I would love to be your demonstrator!