Male birthday cards are the most challenging. I do find myself laughing at this because my husband has six brothers, that’s right six, and I have three Godsons who all have two brothers. There are lots of boys around. My eldest Godson recently turned 19, and I really wanted to mark the occasion with a special card.
I had a lot of fun creating this watercolour ink smoosh background card for him. While I was at it I did make four of them to use through out the year. I also wanted to incorporate a big HB (standing for Happy Birthday) as I’ve recently seen that on a card by a fellow Stampin’ Up!® demonstrator and loved it! Sorry I can’t remember who it was! Oops, too many talented independent demonstrators. I also really wanted the HB to really stand out, more than it would if I was to use Stampin’ Dimensionals so I layered the HB to make it sold and thick. You can see this in the photo below:
One of the things I’m in love with about card making is that I can also make the envelope and inside of the card coordinate. I love making things coordinate. So I also stamped the envelope and the inside of the card with the bubbles and rings from the Bottles & Bubbles Framelits.
To make this card:
- Pepare card base, I did mine in Bermuda Bay.
- Take a sheet of water colour paper and using the ink smooth technique first with Lemon Lime Twist. Instead of using acetate plastic as I do in my video in the link, this time I put the water colour paper directly into the ink. Allow to dry a bit and then repeat with Bermuda Bay.
- Once water colour paper is a bit dry, spray some water into the palm of your hand and allow water to drip over the water colour paper. Allow water to sit for a few minutes and then dry with paper towel. This removes some of the colour saturation and leaves some watermarks. Allow to dry.
- While waiting for the background to dry, using a Big Shot die cut the following:
- small & large bottles and hexagon shapes from Shimmery White card stock
- two straws from Smoky Slate card stock
- letters H & B from Myths & Magic Glimmer paper (I used the Lemon Lime twist)
- three each of the letter H & B from Whisper White Thick card stock
- Using an Aqua Painter paint the bottles in Peekaboo Peach, starting with a lighter wash and then a darker one.
- Stamp the hexagon pieces in Peekaboo Peach – the larger one I stamped with the “Have A Birthday Brew” sentiment and the smaller with the “For You” sentiment.
- Glue the four layers of H making sure the Glimmer paper H is on top. Repeat with the B.
- Stamp onto a strip of Smokey Slate card stock the “Happy Birthday” sentiment from Picture Perfect Birthday stamp set, and using paper snips cut out a small triangle at either end to create a ribbon banner effect.
- Using the rings stamp and Bermuda Bay colour stamp the water colour paper, don’t be afraid to stamp off onto the water colour paper too. Try to align some of these stamps with the water marks you have created. Also stamp Whisper White card stock that will go inside the card base as well as the envelope.
- Stamp the bubbles using Lemon Lime Twist onto the water colour paper, the card stock for the inside the card and on the envelope.
- Cut the water colour paper into quarters and mount onto Smokey Slate cardstock so that there is about 3mm around the edge. Adhere to the card base on an angle.
- Adhere the H & B die cuts and on top of them glue the Smokey Slate banner with “Happy Birthday” sentiment.
- Glue the straws to the back of the bottles and glue the hexagon labels to the front.
- Glue the bottles to the card.
This is a great fun, bright card for any older male in your life. I have to laugh, even though the bottles I painted Peekaboo Peach both my kids said “Ewe, beer!”. Hahaha.
Thank you for visiting my blog! I really enjoy sharing with you my creations and I hope that you are inspired to spend some time being creative.
Bye for now!
- Join Stampin’ Up!® to start getting your products at 20% discount: CLICK HERE
- Request a Catalogue to see what products you can purchase: CLICK HERE
- Subscribe to my newsletter to keep up to date with the latest news: CLICK HERE
- Follow me on Facebook for regular updates and inspiration: CLICK HERE
- Go SHOPPING for clearance items and specials: CLICK HERE
If you live in Australia you can purchase the products that were used by clicking the links below.
June 2021 Host Code: X947KAUS
(Use the hostess code when ordering less than $250. All orders over $50 before shipping get a handmade card from me, FREE packet of Paper Lattice, and collect stickers part of my Customer Loyalty Program!)
Learn more about the products I used. I have them listed below. Click on the product image to learn more and to purchase from my Online Store. Thank you for your support, I would love to be your demonstrator!