Welcome to my blog and another blog hop with the aWOW (Around the World On Wednesday) team. This month our theme is Rainbow Monochrome. Each time zone was assigned a colour from the rainbow and had to create a monochrome project with that colour. My colour is orange. Not my favourite of colours probably because my mum loved it. We had orange bar stools, orange cushions on the dining chairs and orange serving ware. You get the picture. I do however really love butterflies and have a wonderful memory from my travels with my husband in Mexico. We were on a bus to Valle de Bravo and the bus stopped because we were surrounded by thousands, if not millions, of Monarch Butterflies. My card is inspired by that event:
[All supplies used in this project are shown at the end of this post and are linked to my Stampin’ Up! online store. You can purchase them and create this project too! Thank you for your support of my stamping adventure]
This card requires patience to create because I let the layering of colouring dry on each butterfly. (I explain below). The biggest thing that was AMAZING in creating this card was that I had cut apart my butterflies in the Butterfly Brilliance stamp set. I can still put them together but by having each butterfly individual I was able to create this card.
- Card Base: Mango Melody
- Card Front: Basic Black (8.5 x 12.8cm), Fluid 100 Watercolor Paper (8.2 x 12.5 cm)
- Sentiment Label: Basic Black
- I started by creating the fluttering butterflies. I picked the butterfly that is on the bottom left corner of the stamp set because it looks most like a Monarch Butterfly. I mounted it onto the Stamparatus by position the same where I wanted it to stamp first on the Fluid 100 Watercolor Paper.
- First stamp the butterfly in mango Melody ink and then immediately take a Water Painter and brush the colour all over the butterfly. You will have heaps of ink from the stamping to do this. TIP: Water Painter doesn’t need to be dripping wet and don’t squeeze the tube. Let dry.
- DO NOT move the paper or the stamp.
- Then ink Cajun Craze ink on the edge of the wings of the butterfly using a Sponge Dauber. Stamp on top and again using a Water Painter blend the ink into the wings but keeping the part of the wings closest to the body more Mango Melody. Let dry.
- Stamp the whole butterfly once more this time using Jet Black Stazon Ink.
- TIP: clean stamp between each stamping
- Move the stamp to a new location and repeat
- TIP: I found it better working with the full sheet of Fluid 100 Watercolor Paper and then cutting it down to size.
- Once all butterflies are stamped and coloured take the Basic Gray Watercolor Pencil and add shadowing to underneath the butterflies. Blend with the Water Painter. This makes them look like they are floating above the paper.
- Onto another piece of Fluid 100 Watercolor Paper stamp a large butterfly following the above directions. Then die cut out with coordinating die.
- For the sentiment, White Heat Emboss the Many Messages and then die cut with coordinating die. Choose which sentiment you want to use most.
- From a piece of Vellum die cut the circle from Painted Labels die.
- To assemble:
- Adhere the watercolour paper to the Basic Black card front using Multipurpose Liquid Glue. This glue lets you play and move to get the right position.
- Decide where your big butterfly will go and then add some Stampin’ Seal + to adhere some white ribbon from the Flowers For Every Season pack. You can lift the ribbon and play with the positioning till you are happy.
- With Multipurpose Liquid Glue add the Vellum circle die cut and then the big butterfly on top.
- Add the sentiment with Black Stampin’ Dimensionals. I’ve layered two dimensionals because I wanted the butterfly to be more free on the edges and stick up.
- Adhere the finished card front to the card base using Black Stampin’ Dimensionals.
Now please hop on over to the talented Leonie Stuart to see what creation she has for you. Leonie is in the same time zone so is also sharing a project featuring Orange.
Full Blog Hop List:
Jan Clothier – NZ
You are here —> Tatiana Tobin – AU <— You are here
Leonie Stuart – AU
Rochelle Laird-Smith – AU
Cheryll Miller – AU
Melissa Gifford – AU
Pia Gephardt – DE
Ximena Morales – DE
Aurélie Fabre – FR
Annette Ball – CA
Angie McKenzie – US
Mary Brown – US – Special Guest
Connie Babbert – US – Special Guest
Wendy Lee – US
Shel Anderson – CA
Chris Smith – US
Lisa Martz – US – Special Guest
Tricia Butts – US
Wendy Weixler – US – Special Guest
Elaine de Montmorency – CA
Sharon Hashimoto Burkert – US
Teri West – US
Cheryl Hamilton – US
Thank you for visiting my blog!
Bye for now!
- Join Stampin’ Up!® to start getting your products at 20% discount: CLICK HERE
- Request a Catalogue to see what products you can purchase: CLICK HERE
- Subscribe to my newsletter to keep up to date with the latest news: CLICK HERE
- Follow me on Facebook for regular updates and inspiration: CLICK HERE
- Go SHOPPING for clearance items and specials: CLICK HERE
If you live in Australia you can purchase Stampin’ Up!® products from my online store.
Current Host Codde: 2NNHDDF6
(Use the hostess code when ordering less than $250. All orders over get a handmade card from me. Orders over $50 will receive a FREE gift, and collect stickers part of my Customer Loyalty Program! Orders over $90 will also get a FREE tutorial bundle the following month!!)
You can purchase the of the supplies I used in this project. Please click on the image below to purchase. Thank you for your support.